Total Pageviews

Friday, August 1, 2014

Screwtape mentoring

“Surely you know that if a man can't be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighbourhood looking for the church that "suits" him until he becomes a taster or connoisseur of churches.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters


  I haven't written anything since the last time I wrote on this blog. Why? Because I don't want to. My desire to write, my passion for putting my thoughts into words has all but disappeared.  It's very strange as big as the feeling was it is gone now.  But, this causes a problem.  One of the ways the Lord communicates with me is by giving me pieces to a puzzle and then I spread them out on a table, get the edge pieces separated from the rest and then color code, etc. etc.  Well, words from Him are the pieces.  The page is my table.  I don't know another way to do this when He is giving me so many pieces to what is sure to be a very large puzzle.
     This morning I said to Him, "Where did the passion go?  I thought this was a gift?"  His answer?  "I don't take gifts back."  Hmm.  Maybe that was why He had me listening to the Screwtape Letters?  If you are unfamiliar with them, it is a series of letters written by Uncle Screwtape (demon) to his nephew Wormwood (a demon also) mentoring him in the fine art of manipulating the life of the person he is assigned to.  It's almost comical how puppet like people are.
     So I give God this picture of all these multi dimensional words He has been giving me as puzzle pieces stirring around in my brain and how impossible it looks to funnel them down through a pen.  It's just too hard.  Then He gives me His own picture of the top of my head coming off to expose all those puzzle pieces and a demon stirring it all up like a brew in a big black pot.  The author of confusion. 
     "Okay Lord, what do I do?"  He said, "Write.  Write something, anything, just write."  As I try to write the computer crashed, I hit my head and I knocked over a pile of books.  But I keep moving forward knowing who is fighting me, who has convinced me I am too tired, it is too hot, and it's really not important what I have to say.  And I succeed.  I have written.  Now we will see what can of worm(wood) it opens.  Ha.

“Prosperity knits a man to the World. He feels that he is ‘finding his place in it’, while really it is finding its place in him.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment