Total Pageviews

Monday, April 10, 2017

This is Your Brain on . . .

“There's no reason to have a plan B (mine) because it distracts from plan A (God's).”
Will Smith


    This quote cracks me up.  Especially after the words that struck me this morning.  I got home late last night and decided to watch Dave's sermon on line.  Something struck me but I wasn't sure what is was.  I watched enough of the sermon this morning to understand.  He was talking about baptism.  I realized baptism is one of the few things we agree on.  Only water baptism though.  He was talking about it being symbolic of dying, being buried and being resurrected.  He began to give a list of things we need to die to; bitterness, pride, whatever else.  I heard each thing and it made sense, but this morning when he choked up so did I.  My plans.  That's a tough one.  Die to my plans. 
     Especially in this country, people are urged to plan and if you don't you are irresponsible.  You plan for a career, you plan for college, you plan for children, marriage, retirement, etc.  Then we find Jesus and we open the passenger door for Him to get in and ride along with us through our plans.  He even lets us believe our plan is okay, for a little while.   Then one day if you truly pursue Him with all your heart and you obey and you listen, it happens, a tug of war on the best laid plans.  I know women who have planned for their wedding their whole life.  Last night I went to a wedding that was planned out by God.  Holy Spirit was the guest of Honor.  It was absolutely amazing.  Are we willing to let Him do that much of the planning?
     God ultimately holds the plans.  We can go to school for twelve years to be a surgeon and He can take our hands.  Or allow our hands to be taken.  Now what?  We can plan all our lives to have a big family and then find the spouse of our dreams can't have children.  NOT what we had planned. 
     Lately with friends the topic has been what is okay with one of us, may not be with another.  Maybe my friend can watch a show, that I feel convicted if I watch.  Maybe she can have a beer, but I am not comfortable.  Why?  Is there no black and white with God?  Maybe it's my call.  Maybe it's her weakness.  Maybe it's his brokenness and a freedom he hasn't found yet?  I seem to live by stricter standards and some days I get angry about it.  Why can't I do what the other kids can do?  
     It's funny because in a couple months it will be 6 years since I first talked to Dave.  We have been through a lot.  We are a lot alike.  God has allowed the enemy to attack both of our brains and I can't help but wonder if there is meaning there.  I have my dead cells from the stroke and he has a tumor.  He always has to "one up" me.  When he repeats himself, I laugh because I get it and I do it and then I say a prayer for him.   
     There is a movie about the prophet Jeremiah.  Patrick Dempsey plays Jeremiah.  He and the king argued a lot like Dave and I and at one time the movie helped me understand what was happening between us.  There is one scene where Jeremiah grabs the prison bars and shakes the door, yelling, "GOD!!  GOD!!"  Man, I identified with that scene.  I am sure Dave does now.  The prophet is always trying to get a stubborn king to change from his plans to God's plans. 
     I plan nothing without the Lord.  Some would say I take it too far, but I don't think so.  It's more of a "I'm moving through the day this way.  Stop me God, if there is something else you want me to do."  Often He does.  Often He changes the whole day.  Other times He changes nothing.  When you have been planning your whole life and then suddenly you have a death threat, you spend a lot of time being still with your mouth hanging open and no words.  It's being forced to change plans and it sucks, until we realize it is God and it is best and it is right, but it can still suck.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. - Dave

2 comments: