Total Pageviews

Monday, April 8, 2013

Free to Follow


"The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers." — Ralph Nader


      I take my kindle everywhere.  I always have a book I am reading for those moments when I have to wait.  The one I am reading right now is perfect for this.  It's easy reading, full of good quotes and it encourages me.  It's called, "What Leaders Do" and Dave wrote it.  I pick it up in the fast food line, when I'm waiting to get a coffee or even waiting for a train.  I am not one who sits quietly very well, so this helps me with my impatience. 
     Today I grabbed a bite to eat and while waiting in line began reading.  I came upon a poem Dave quoted.  It really struck me.  I am in total agreement and could even say it lit a fire in me.  Immediately I thought of a couple friends I believe will feel the same way about it. 
     As I drove home I had a conversation with God.  Between pictures, thoughts and questions, it was almost like He was telling me a story.


     From birth the enemy begins his assault.  Every chance he gets, he convinces us to tie ourselves up.  He always uses the same tools.  Duct tape made of bitterness, unforgiveness, and anger.  Chains of abuse, lies and broken dreams.  Ropes of issues like abandonment, tragedy and trauma, because when we can no longer tie ourselves up, he convinces others to help wrap us in strongholds.  This happens over years of prodding.  Then when he knows breaking loose is impossible, he whispers for us to walk of the edge of the plank and fall into the water, sinking slowly to the bottom of a slow death. 
     When our hands are tied, we can't reach out.  With a mouth covered in duct tape, we can't cry out.  If he is really successful, he convinces us to be angry at God so we don't even want to try to reach out.  There we are, unable to move, everything we can do takes so much effort we don't really want to try anymore.  The water is looking good.
     When we can no longer call out to God, He sends someone.  He sends a little Jesus "want to be".  He picks just the right person, striving to be like Jesus and sends them to us.  They have His heart and they want to help.  They were once a prisoner and with their freedom and growing in Christ, want to set other captives free.  They take their time and stand back a ways until you trust them.  Then after a time they move closer and rip the tape from your mouth.  You get angry, you cuss a little, you tell them you don't want to do this, because it hurts too much, but they take a step back and wait for you to calm down.  When it's safe, they rip another little piece off one hand and the same process happens all over again, pain, screaming, anger.  Then you feel a little freedom and move your hand around a little bit and realize you want more.  So they take you through a few more steps of breaking free of the bondage while introducing you to the real Jesus, not the one the enemy described.  When you are finally free you want to set somebody else free.  You want to set everyone free.  You become a Jesus "want to be".  I want to be like Jesus and maybe that's why this poem struck me. 


Found among a young African pastor's papers in Zimbabwe after he was martyred

     I'm a part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of His and I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.
     My past is redeemed. My present makes sense. My future is secure. I'm done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals.
     I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, or first, or tops, or recognized, or praised, or rewarded. I live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by Holy Spirit power.
     My face is set. My gait is fast. My goal is heaven. My road may be narrow, my way rough, my companions few, but my guide is reliable and my mission is clear.
     I will not be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed.
      I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice or hesitate in the presence of the adversary. I will not negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.
     I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up for the cause of Christ.
     I am a disciple of Jesus. I must give until I drop, preach until all know, and work until He comes. And when He does come for His own, He'll have no problems recognizing me. My colors will be clear!



1 comment:

  1. Blessed are those who have been forgiven much, have received much grace, have been extended mercy, and have felt the love of their Lord and Savior, for what they have received; they will pay back 10x fold.

    ReplyDelete