Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Grace and Mercy

“Good and evil both increase at compound interest. That is why the little decisions you and I make every day are of such infinite importance. The smallest good act today is the capture of a strategic point from which, a few months later, you may be able to go on to victories you never dreamed of. An apparently trivial indulgence in lust or anger today is the loss of a ridge or railway line or bridgehead from which the enemy may launch an attack otherwise impossible.”
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 


     Consequences.  With all the children and grandchildren around me, I see a lot of learning about consequences.  We try not to smile when a two year old hides something that does not belong to him behind his back and repeatedly says he doesn't have anything.  He needs to learn the consequences through discipline of 1) taking what is not his and 2) lying about it.  Somewhere in our adult minds we smile.  "He is only two."  But, something in my heart is jolted when he knows the spanking is coming and tries to cover his own backside with his hand.  Don't we all do this with God.
     I was talking with a friend last night about expecting the swift kick of discipline administered by our Father, but it seems to most times come in a loving lesson, not the thump on the head we were expecting.  
     If we see a man steal a loaf of bread, would we tell?  Would we judge first?  Would his appearance affect the way we saw the situation?  Was it the only way he could feed his children?  Most of us admittedly would not say anything if he ducked around the corner and handed the bread to a starving toddler. 
     Recently, I read a story about a man, 86 years old, who killed his wife.  It was a mercy killing following many, many, years of caring for her.  She had begged him to do it.  Because of the circumstances, he received two years of unsupervised probation.  Does it make it right?   I have a hard time with this, because I get it.  When I watched a war movie recently and saw a soldier badly burned, I admit, my first thought was shoot him dead.  I could not stand to watch him suffer.  If he was dying and you couldn't save him, why not put him out of his pain.  I hate pain.  It's worse when I have to see someone else suffer in pain.  I feel helpless and want it to stop. 
     The ten commandments do not say - Do not commit murder unless a person is suffering and going to die anyway.  Do I think God has mercy on us if we give into a mercy killing?  I hope so.  I would guess that he takes all the circumstances into consideration more than we ever could.  He knows about every minute of our lives and why we are who we are.  I would think he would rather see us full of compassion to a point of taking a life, rather than standing there an unconcerned hard hearted observer.
     In the last weeks I have returned to writing my story.  It is amazing the things I have forgotten that the Lord spoke to me over the last 22 months.  As I go through thousands of emails between Dave and I, there are many times it seems I don't even remember writing them.  In early March of 2012 the Lord spoke to me about where He wanted to take me.  I told Dave about it and immediately forgot about it.  Over six months later He would bring it up again and it was just like I never heard it the first time.  Recently I heard that when the Lord repeats Himself when giving us a word it is not that the word has more significance, but that it will receive more opposition.  I wonder if the enemy played a role in helping me forget? 
     Where God wants to take me eventually, fits in with many areas He has brought me through.  I can see why many of the lessons were taught.  It is easier to forgive when we know the circumstances.  We can find reasons why we can forgive lies, stealing and even murder.  What about abuse?  What circumstances can ever be a "good enough" excuse that a person could be forgiven for sexual abuse.
     The way I understand it, all sin is equal.  So, that would make all sinners equal.  We are not to judge.  If I am not to judge a person for gossiping, then I am not supposed to judge a person for murder or sexual abuse.  I am led to work with the abusers.  I have no idea what exactly that means, but God has made it clear to me twice.  I have forgiven mine.  I am not afraid to see them today.  I would talk to them about Jesus.  First, I pray they are not still abusing.  Second, I pray they are saved by Jesus.  If all sin is equal, all sin is forgiven, then why should they not be forgiven.
     There are so many things beyond our thinking on earth.  Heaven sees these things differently.  Time.  Beginnings and endings.  Forgiveness?  Creation?  Sin?  Who created evil?  I remember that moment right before discipline, when you know, that you know "This is going to hurt."   Two things that are difficult for us to grasp on earth is Grace and Mercy.  We love it when they are given to us, but it isn't always as easy to give it away.

The other day I was given this scripture to read by a good friend and ever since that day it just keeps coming up.


 

Isaiah 61
New International Version (NIV)

The Year of the Lord’s Favor

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.
They will rebuild the ancient ruins
    and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
    that have been devastated for generations.
Strangers will shepherd your flocks;
    foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
And you will be called priests of the Lord,
    you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
    and in their riches you will boast.
Instead of your shame
    you will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
    you will rejoice in your inheritance.
And so you will inherit a double portion in your land,
    and everlasting joy will be yours.
“For I, the Lord, love justice;
    I hate robbery and wrongdoing.
In my faithfulness I will reward my people
    and make an everlasting covenant with them.
Their descendants will be known among the nations
    and their offspring among the peoples.
All who see them will acknowledge
    that they are a people the Lord has blessed.”
10 I delight greatly in the Lord;
    my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
    and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
    and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11 For as the soil makes the sprout come up
    and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness
    and praise spring up before all nations.
  •  
    •  
       

      No comments:

      Post a Comment