Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

Spirit or Flesh

“Many Christians... find themselves defeated by the most psychological weapon that Satan uses against them. This weapon has the effectiveness of a deadly missile. Its name? Low self-esteem. Satan's greatest psychological weapon is a gut level feeling of inferiority, inadequacy, and low self-worth This feeling shackles many Christians, in spite of wonderful spiritual experiences and knowledge of God's Word. Although they understand their position as sons and daughters of God, they are tied up in knots, bound by a terrible feeling inferiority, and chained to a deep sense of worthlessness.”
David A. Seamands, Healing For Damaged Emotions    


    This is one of those times I wish I knew the Bible better than I do. I was listening to a teaching this morning and something really stood out to me. Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood.  Doesn't the bible say the old man is dead and we are given new life.  Isn't this what water baptism represents?  The spirit in us takes over.
     This is one of those times I can say "I don't get it."  It says right there that our struggle is not against flesh.  Why do people say we struggle against the devil, flesh and the world?  The old man is dead.  We struggle against the old lies the enemy whispers to us that lead us to believe the old man is still alive and kicking.  

     So, if we go back to Adam and Eve, you could say they struggled against their flesh when they wanted the knowledge of good and evil, but the Bible doesn't say they struggled against their lust for power until the enemy convinced them they wanted it.  Right?  We can talk a kid into wanting to help us clean up toys when they are little.  Maybe the enemy has it too easy because we keep those four fingers pointing back at ourselves?  When we try to beat him in our flesh we fail, but when we allow our spirit to join with the Holy Spirit, fight is over.
  Just sayin'.  I have been trying to finish my book and I couldn't get those last six pages written.  My flesh wanted it done, so I can't say that was where the fight was.  It was those old lies that stopped me, like "Who wants to read this?" and "Then what will you do?"  or "What if you fail?  What if you succeed?"  Sounds like the enemy to me, because he doesn't want it finished, but I do.  (And I did)  How about smoking.  I have been trying to quit for some time now.  I don't want to smoke.  It stinks, it doesn't make me feel good and I don't even enjoy it anymore.  My flesh hates it, but the enemy loves it when I smoke.  Have you ever heard a hacking, coughing person say I want a cigarette?  I do that.  I don't even really want one.  Is it habit or the enemy.  It's not my flesh.  

     Maybe I'm not seeing this clearly, but it is making sense to me.  Maybe it's just my flesh, denying it's my flesh. 


Ephesians 6:12  New International Version (NIV)

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment