Total Pageviews

Friday, June 21, 2013

Who is Driving?

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
Ernest Hemingway


     It is so much easier to see someone else's struggles than our own.  I believe there are times when the Lord shows us another's battle so we can see our own much clearer.  Even though we know how difficult it is, we can clearly see when a person is not completely letting go.  They hang on to some little corner of an issue that God is very clearly saying, "Give it to me.  Give it all to me."  I get a picture of a small child with a security blanket.  His mother comes to get it from him because it desperately needs to be washed and as she takes a hold of it she finds him holding on to the corner, looking the other way as though he is totally unaware his little fingers are white from gripping one small little corner.  She waits patiently for him to realize that she knows he is still holding on.  "Release the blanket, child so I can wash it."  Sounds a lot like the Lord to me, "Release the issue my beloved child so it can be washed in the blood."  He won't pull it from our grubby little hands, we have to let it go.
     Another way to look at it is a father taking his young son on a trip to the store with him.  "Would you like to go with me?", the father asks.  The boy jumps in the driver's seat eager to go along and please his dad.  The father waits patiently for the child to realize he is in the wrong seat.  Dad has to be the driver.  As they pull into traffic the boy reaches over to steer the car.  This does not work either, but we all do it.  "Sure God, take the driver's seat, but let me steer." 
     When we finally surrender the wheel, we still reach down to control the gas pedal.  Dad might be in charge of where we are going, but we think we can control how fast we get there.  We wouldn't want to rush into anything we are not prepared for.  (Even if God knows we are ready)  We struggle to knock His foot off the gas pedal and when that fails, we hit the brakes. 
     So the youngster finally surrenders the steering wheel (direction) and the gas and brake pedals (speed).  As they pull up to a stop sign the child hollers out to one of his friends to come along.  This will make the trip more fun, he thinks.  Dad has other ideas.  Maybe this trip is for the two of them or maybe he will be inviting people along his son doesn't really like.  Do we surrender this part of the journey to Him?  There are so many parts of the journey we don't even realize we are trying to control.  God says, "I know what is best."
     Then the boy flips on the radio and scans through the channels.  Dad waits patiently for him to realize he does not approve of the voices the child is hearing.  Maybe we are taking advice from the wrong person.  Maybe we are not listening to someone God has chosen.  Maybe He wants the radio off so that He is the only one we listen to about this issue. 
     I understand why He calls us his children, because we so much act like children.  Even when it rains, we want to stay home, not go out, close the curtains and beg for sunshine.  Dad just flips on the windshield wipers and keeps us moving forward. 


And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been living my life
I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on
Oh, Jesus take the wheel

Carrie Underwood - Jesus take the Wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment