Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cereal box, bin or ocean?

“The grateful heart sits at a continuous feast.”
Proverbs 15 15



     The Lord says to come to Him like a child.  For some of us, being a child was a long time ago, or we never got to be a child.  But, you can learn a lot from them, so I would suggest you borrow a couple and watch them.  You can never say "Children always ... because there is an exception to every always.  Trust me. 
     I am not a patient person.  I fly through everything and if I screw up, I do over, but patience is not a gift I have to give.  I was a very impatient Mom and I think sometimes my kids get irritated with me, because for some reason the area of my life that I have the most patience is my grand kids.  I like to sit back and watch them figure things out.  Okay, sometimes I could bust a tooth, because I am gritting my teeth so hard.  Other times, I can put my feet up and watch.  They are an interesting little bunch of people. 
     One of the most interesting things to watch, but can be painful for some personalities, is watching a child open a new box of cereal.  The cardboard box is pretty easy to rip open, but some of those bags are ridiculous, even for adults.  Some kids get one little rip in the bag so that two or three little flakes, puffs, or other oddly shaped morsels can fall into their bowl at a time.  They are okay with that.  Other kids aren't happy until they have ripped open the bag with such force there is cereal every where.  Some of those are happy to pick it off the floor and others burst in to tears, believing life will never be the same. 
     I happen to have a small ripper of a grandson.  He can tear the smallest hole in the bag and patiently wait while the pieces fall out one at a time, occasionally jamming up the hole.  He puts his eye under the bag to see what the problem is and then slowly takes one finger and sets the jammed pieces free.  Lucky for me this doesn't last long before he asks for help. 
     What it reminds me of is how we approach God.  We poke a little hole in the bag and just let as much as we think we can handle spill out.  We are afraid to bust the bag open and let it all rain down on us.  I mean really?  What would we have to clean up if we ripped the bag open.  How painful might it be if we totally immersed ourselves?  We order God in these little manageable boxes, when God wants us to fall right into the his vastness.  He is like a big tub of cereal that stretches as far and wide as the eye can see.  We would assume we dip our bowls in and scoop out what we want, but He is asking us to climb in and swim in Him.  What if we drown?  He is asking us to risk it.  Give our whole lives, even if it means death.


“You give because the love of God has been poured into your heart, not to satisfy the law.”
Sherry K. White, Walking in the Father's Riches: The Prosperity of Sonship

No comments:

Post a Comment