Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Words!

“We will have to give an account on the day of judgment for every careless word spoken”
Mathew 12:36



     I just went for a long drive and the Lord asked me to pray for something specific.  When I am in the car alone, I can get pretty loud and out of control with my prayers.  There is some kind of freedom in knowing that I am alone in a small  space, with Jesus.  I guess there is a false belief that if my prayers become boring He can't get away as long as I am driving fast enough.  Ha.  I came to this place where I didn't know what else to say.  I was thinking.  Did I pray that right?  Did I add, "If it is your will"?  Did I say in Jesus name?  Then I heard Him, "That was enough."  But why do words sometimes feel so inadequate?
     God spoke all of creation into existence, yet are there words that can adequately describe that creation.  I have stood on a cliff in Oregon, a mountain in Washington and the rim of the Grand Canyon, just for a few examples and no words came to me.  How do you describe God's creation with mere words?  Sometimes all you can do is gasp.  Is it who speaks them?  I know that a complete stranger calling me a hurtful name, does not sting the way it would if it was a friend,speaking the exact same words.
     What I have learned in my reading lately, in Daniel where God has had me for months, when King Nebuchadnezzar wanted a dream interpreted he went to Daniel.  BUT, before he went to Daniel, knowing from the past that Daniel was hearing God, Nebuchadnezzar called on the magicians, enchanters, astrologers and diviners.  Why?  Was he afraid of the truth he knew Daniel would speak?  Had these people always told him what he wanted to hear?  So, was he always in a "happy place" when getting a word from them.  Don't we do this?
     When something goes wrong, don't we call the friends who will encourage us?  The ones who will agree with us?  The ones who will give us "happy thoughts"?  It is only when we are truly ready to hear the truth that we call that one friend we all have who will speak the truth and not just focus on making us feel better.  When we do something questionable and the outcome leaves us with something to complain about, do we avoid the friend who will expose that we are responsible for that outcome.
     The false prophets were recognized for speaking words that gave them the glory instead of God.  They were known for speaking what the rulers wanted to hear instead of warning them of the truth.   They spoke in half truths, not giving specifics, saying things like, "I'm not going to tell you anymore, but wait and see."  True prophets are trusted with God's words, His powerful word that spoke all things into existence.  This is not to be taken lightly.  I guess that's why prophets are not usually popular people. 
     Joyce Meyer says, "Run to throne, not the phone."  I see this in people too.  I have done this.  Things go a little off balance and we run to our friends instead of God.  We trust our friends words over what we hear God speaking to us, because we don't trust in our ability to hear Him clearly.  This can be very dangerous and keep us in the dark. 
     As words are powerful in a positive way, they are also powerful in a negative way.  If given a word of prophecy, when listening to a sermon, and when hearing God ourselves, we must always be sure it lines up with scripture.  There always has to be fruit.  The positive words we hear are not going to help us grow if they are not true.  There are preachers today that speak "feel good" sermons.  In fact there is one I used to always listen to when I was down, because he cheered me up.  Even though he spoke truth, following him only made me feel good, it did not make me grow.  It's truth and conviction that change us, shape us to be more like Christ.  Truth, no matter how much it hurts, is what really sets us free. 

Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

1 comment:

  1. Lord ~ I want to be the truth friend, but in love and kindness~ this was good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete