Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back away from the Bubble

"Love is not about opening yourself up to another. It is choosing to be your real self no matter what occurs. Love is about how we love, not who loves us. “I am what I love, not what loves me.” This has become one of the most powerful identity statements that I have ever made. It has produced a freedom that has revolutionized my relationships. Real love cannot be rejected, because it never seeks a return. Love is not an investment. It is the right thing to do. It is a part of our righteousness. That is, it is not just about doing the right thing, but more about being the right person. Be true to yourself and love others." - Graham Cooke


     We all have that person in our life that is constantly pushing against our bubble.   Our bubble is our space around us that should only be entered by invitation.  When we reach out a hand to shake, we hold it outside of our bubble.  When we hug, that is inviting another person into our bubble if only for a minute.  My bubble is bigger than most people's and an invitation to break through is not handed out without careful consideration of what the price may be.  As we grow in Christ our bubbles get smaller, but I'm not sure they can ever completely go away.  There are people who should never be invited in.  There are certain people that force my bubble to grow and others who cause it to shrink.  My bubble is not 100% healthy.
     There are people in this world who have been so wounded they depend on others for their identity.  I am desperately fighting to not be one of them and I have had a taste of finding my identity in Christ and I am pursuing that in our relationship more than anything.  I want that more than peace, more than gifts and promises, but I think that all comes with it.
     I have always been surrounded by people who suck the life out of me, so I isolate, because I don't know how yet to stand up for myself and say, back up.  Tonight I listened to "Overcoming Negativity Through Rest" by Graham Cooke.  This man is really speaking to me lately.  He explains how we are each a piece in the big puzzle, God's picture.  In order to give those around us what we are supposed to give them all we have to do is keep our eyes on Jesus and become more like Him.  We don't owe anyone more than that.

"People not walking with God always want you to be responsible for their life. They want you to take responsibility for everything but they won't give you the power to change anything. Question is: Has God given you that role? I am not responsible for people's lives around me. I am responsible for the piece that God has given me in their life. I have a piece of revelation or truth or a lifestyle that's glorious for me. I am responsible for sowing that piece into the lives of people around me, but I am not responsible for everything connected with them." - Graham Cooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment