Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 29, 2012

"mits"?

“Lack of interest in mission is not fundamentally caused by an absence of compassion or commitment, nor by lack of information or exhortation. And lack of interest in mission is not remedied by more shocking statistics, more gruesome stories or more emotionally manipulative commands to obedience. It is best remedied by intensifying peoples’ passion for Christ, so that the passions of his heart become the passions that propel our hearts.”
Tim Dearborn, Beyond Duty: A Passion For Christ, A Heart For Mission



     I guess I have a problem with my "mits".  I didn't realize this until it was pointed out to me.  Okay, I wouldn't ad"mit" it until I was forced to.  Once you ad"mit" you are forced to make a decision and either ignore (not recommended) or com"mit" to change.   Or would that be sub"mit" to change?  Are you starting to get the picture?  I think there are quite a few of us "mit"less characters in the world today.  I think it's doing damage.  Besides admit, commit, and submit, I also have issues with li"mit".  I've never had any.  I've never learned to set my own.  
     Because I have a love for words and their origin, I decided I needed to figure out the meaning of "mit".  I thought it had something to do with "keeping my "mits" off of things that don't belong to me", but maybe not.  Maybe other people know this stuff off the top of their heads, but I had to do some research.  Because everything online is true (ha), especially if you "Google" it (double ha), that's what I did.  Mit comes from "mission".  That can't be good.  But it makes sense.  Commit - Com means together and mit means mission.  Commitment is a together mission?  Okay.  I looked up mission:

     1. a specific task or duty assigned to a person or group of people (their mission was to irrigate the desert)
     2. a person's vocation (often in the phrase mission in life)

     Now what? I have a problem with my mission? Of course I do. I've never had one. Not a life mission anyway.   Maybe this is why God keeps bringing up my "mits"?  I am going to have to learn to admit, commit, submit and set limits.  
     Sometimes we have to look at the positive.  I have been called a hermit.  I'm successful with that "mit" but I'm trying to give that up.  Maybe I just need to change my "mits"?  I'm learning to transmit my feelings and such.  I have learned to permit God to run (most) of my life.  And there is no reason to talk about vomit.
     So God is stressing my "mits"  I think He is telling me that these are all part of having a successful mission.  This morning, I'm feeling held back and I think He is telling me to show Him how serious my commitment is.  We all say we want to make a difference, but then we sit back in our recliners with our remotes and wait for God to pack the truck.  We want it loaded with everything we will need and idling in the driveway before we put our shoes on.  Preparation is a huge part of a mission.  I think God is sitting in my recliner waiting for me to pack the truck.  


“the whole Bible is itself a missional phenomenon. The writings that now comprise our Bible are themselves the product of and witness to the ultimate mission of God. The Bible renders to us the story of God's mission through God's people in their engagement with God's world for the sake of the whole of God's creation. The Bible is the drama of this God of purpose engaged in the mission of achieving that purpose universally, embracing past, present and future, Israel and the nations, "life, the universe and everything," and with its centre, focus, climax, and completion in Jesus Christ. Mission is not just one of a list of things that the Bible happens to talk about, only a bit more urgently than some. Mission is, in that much-abused phrase, "what it's all about.”

― Cristopher J.H. Wright







No comments:

Post a Comment