Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bondage Breaker

     I've always been frustrated with the way famous people such as actors and sports players are worshipped in this country.  There are musicians in local bands and churches who are just as talented as the big names, but for one reason or another never become as well known.  Famous names are always in the news, more lately for crimes and morally bad behavior.  Yet, we Americans follow their lives like they are making a difference.  A lot of them are making a difference and it's not a good one.  When I see footage of girls crying and reaching out, even passing out, because some famous person touched their hand it makes me sad.
     Months ago, I changed my schedule to attend a church service 30 minutes away because I wanted to hear a man speak.  I didn't cry, scream or pass out when I saw him, but I wanted to hear every word he had to say.  His name is Gary Haugen, unknown to most, but someday, I would love to be like him.  This man gave up a career in Washington DC to dedicate his life to releasing slaves.  In America and all over the world he heads up the mission to release people held in captivity.  He is the president and CEO of International Justice Mission.  IJM is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression.  Gary's ability to speak is amazing.  There is a comfort in his voice.  I could listen to him explain how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for hours. 
     He tells the story of meeting a little girl about 8 years old from Rwanda.  She was hiding in a church with several other people when they were mowed down in gunfire.  She lay under dead bodies for days waiting to be rescued.  When he talked about her smile and how it reached in and touched his heart, changed his life, you felt his love for the oppressed.
     I sat and listened to this man for almost an hour and I decided before I left the church, I wanted to shake his hand.  This is not something I feel very often.  I started praying before the service was over, asking God to just let me shake this man's hand.  His whole life was dedicated to saving people I identify with and I wanted to thank him.  I was shaking with fear of approaching a stranger who had more important things to do than talk to me.  Usually when a service is over, I'm one of those who races for the door so I don't have to shake hands with a stranger.
     I stepped into the foyer and spotted him immediately.  He was standing off to the side, deep in conversation with a woman,  I told God I was going to walk toward him and if God would please set up the opening for me to approach, I would do it, I would shake his hand and be grateful.  When I was within feet of Gary, the woman suddenly walked away and he was wide open for anyone to approach.  Talking to God the whole time and shaking, I walked right up to him and held out my hand.  He immediately took it between both of his.  The only words I could force out was "thank you".  Not because he was famous, but because he was a rescuer of people like me and doing it for God.  There was a split second when our eyes locked and I felt like he knew everything about me.  There was a look in his eyes, I can't even explain.
     Walking away from that brief connection, I was full of emotion.  I was thankful God had given me the opportunity I asked for and admittedly, I was a little proud of myself.  If there is anybody I want to be like when I grow up, it's Gary Haugen.  He is a true servant.  I will never forget that moment, that connection, blessed by God. 

Our Vision: To rescue thousands, protect millions and prove that justice for the poor is possible. - IJM

No comments:

Post a Comment