Total Pageviews

Monday, June 25, 2012

Marlys


God’s plan is like a movie. All the good and bad things are arranged together for the good ending. - unknown


     Today is my friend Marlys' birthday.  I have thought about her several times throughout the day and smiled.  When I became pregnant as a teenager, barely fifteen, my friend Marlys supported me like no other friend.  We played cards many Friday nights while our friend's were partying and having a good time.  I waited nine months for the day she would say, I can't spend time with you, because I want to be a teenager.  She was 17 when I got pregnant and could have been doing many things other than babysitting me.  I wondered many times if I would be as good of a friend to her.  She had a way of making me feel okay.
     The very day I found out I was pregnant, I pitched a fit like no other.  I screamed at God and asked Him why a thousand times.  In all honesty, I asked Him "Why not Marlys?"  She was older and had it more together than I did.  She wanted kids while I had no plans of ever bringing a child into this ugly world.  That's the way I saw it.  God messed up. 
     I'll never forget Marlys curled up on the bed with me while I cried my eyes out.  I was so scared and she was right there with me.  She held my hand, threw a shower, and defended me to all the local gossipers.  She got me through it.  When my son was born she took us everywhere with her.  She loved him like he was another of her many nieces and nephews and even refered to herself as Aunty Mar. 
     One day when my son was about 5, a phone call helped me understand why God may have made the choice not to allow Marlys to be the one to get pregnant.  My mom called to tell me Marlys had been in a bad car accident and within days she was gone.  I thank God she didn't have any kids to be crushed by her death.  Her funeral was the most difficult I ever experienced. 
     Over 25 years later, I still get choked up when I think about her.  I wonder what it would be like if she was still here.  I've had a couple close friends since Marlys, but no one will ever replace her.  I think I still hurt, because I never told her how I felt about her, how much I loved her, how much she meant to me..  She told me one time, "I know you love me, you're just a hard-ass."  Sometimes when I think about her,  I have to tell somebody they are special to me, so I can let go of her.

Some people come into our lives for a reason, stay for a season, and touch our hearts for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment