Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Quilt

     I have several talented people in my family, but this morning I've been thinking about the quilts my grandma made.  She gave me a blanket she had made when my dad was a baby and I cherish it.  I was thinking what it would be like if my grandma were still living and I asked her to make a special quilt, just for me.  She had a special touch, choosing different materials and piecing them together just right to create the image she had in her mind.  There was no way to see that final image she held in her mind.
     What if I impatiently stood over her, "Grandma, I don't like that piece.  It's rough.  Please take it out."  Or what about, "That square there is not warm and fuzzy against my skin, please get rid of it."  Most quilters have quilting parties where different people come to add to the quilt and help shape it.  I have to wonder if grandma ever said, "No.  That piece will not be a part of this quilt."  What if somebody came along and spilled grape juice on the quilt?  Would she try to remove the stain right away, or wait until further along in the process to go back and deal with it.  Or would she leave it, untouched?
     My son has a saying he uses often.  Whenever I see a new dent in his vehicle or a tear in his jeans, he says, "Isn't it great?  It adds character."

    I see God shaping and building our character the same as grandma piecing together a quilt.  We pray, "God, please remove this rough patch.  It doesn't feel good against my skin.  That piece is just to dark for my life.  Please make this easier, softer, warmer."  If I stood over grandma and instructed her on how I wanted my quilt made and she listened to me and granted each of my wishes, I would miss out on the specialness of her touch, her design, the blessings. Would grandma smile and say, "I have a plan."

     The blanket grandma gave me when my son was born is safely tucked away and not in use.  This is sad, because I am afraid it will be ruined.  It might be torn or stained and I couldn't stand that.  Is it of any value safely tucked away?  Or should I take the risk of adding more character?


"You are Gods chief creation, and you are here for His pleasure and His glory." ( Beth Moore )

No comments:

Post a Comment