Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Christians?

  
 I was at a gathering recently and I was deeply touched by the actions of a few Christians.  It wasn't a warm and fuzzy touch.  Without going into detail I'll say one was bashing another, one was basically stealing and another was gossiping.  The room was full of non-believers overhearing and seeing these actions and I couldn't help but wonder how I come across to non-believers.  Christians are the gateway to God.  Would you enter a building if garbage was stacked up outside the front door?  We all have shortcomings.  For years I wouldn't talk about my beliefs, because I was drunk, cussing or pitching a fit.  I knew I wasn't a good example and wouldn't attract non-believers.  I'm pretty sure I turned people off to God.  I know we are not perfect just forgiven, but how do we handle our shortcomings in a way that non-believers aren't turned away.  I keep thinking about the town I grew up in.  The gateway to that town is a cemetery.  If anything would discourage visitors from visiting a town, you would think that a cemetery would be it.  It is actually a very beautiful cemetery kept up very well and obviously full of the town’s history.  I don't live there anymore, but when people realize I was raised there they always talk about how beautiful the town is, rarely do they mention they had to pass through the cemetery to get there.  This is how I see us as believers, we need to attract to, but not distract from.
     I believe God has given me the ability to turn situations into pictures.  He speaks to me through pictures.  My son suffers from dyslexia and it was very frustrating to watch this intelligent kid try to learn when the words were jumping around on the page.  I spent a lot of time turning words into pictures for him and it's become a habit.
     I see the believer’s journey as an untimed race.  It doesn't matter who gets there first as long as we all get there.  We each have our own lane to travel.  Some are more rocky and curvy with more hills and valleys.  Our lanes intersect at just the right times.  While we are making our way to the end of the course, angels are fluttering around coaching us when we fall and warning us of what's ahead.  At the same time demons are trying to knock us off course, discourage us, and putting obstacles in our way.  Some of us are barely moving and some of us are running full speed.  Each lane is uniquely designed for the person traveling in it.
     Off to the side of the course are several recliners lined up with non-believers kicked back eating chips and drinking sodas watching the race.  Demons are serving them more food and telling them jokes and stories to distract them.  They are also pointing out when the racers get mad and pitch a fit over the obstacles they are maneuvering through or when they cheat a little bit by going around difficult places on their course, even though they are always brought back to go through the feared section.  They like to point out every negative behavior the racers are displaying.  Their goal is to keep the non-believer in their recliner and off the course.  There are also angels inviting them to their uniquely designed empty lane.
     There is also a row of recliners for the believers who are afraid or unwilling to begin their course.  This was the section I spent most of my life in.  They are more comfortable kicked back with the unbelievers.  How do we make our race attractive to them?  How do we smile when our foot gets caught on a hurdle and we fall flat on our face?  This is no easy course and sometimes those recliners and chips look pretty good.  How do we explain with sweat running down our backs and bruises on our knees from falling down, that this is the better life?  I think all we can do is be aware that they are watching us and we are watching each other.  The reward is when we hear the footrest on a recliner fold up and we look over to see one of them getting up from their chair.  The music starts playing as they make their way to the lane with their name on it.  The desire to press on grows in our hearts with each footrest that folds.
     I'll be honest with you.  I've been one of the racers who spends too much time looking at other racer's lanes.  "How come my hurdle was higher than yours?"  "Your lane didn't travel through that dark forested area that mine went through."  Lately God has pointed out the racers who do have higher hurdles than mine, who have been through darker areas, and mostly the beginners who have a very similar lane as mine.  What kind of example have I been isn't as important to look at as what kind of example I can be from here on.  Sometimes I think the higher the hurdle the closer the reclining audience is watching, expecting us to fail.  God trusted me with these specific obstacles.  I've decided that my unique lane is an honor and a compliment from God and I have a renewed desire to tackle each hurdle with a smile, believing that when it becomes too much for me my lane will intersect with one of yours and we will share a moment to encourage each other, slap each other on the back and then continue the course.
     As I imagine this picture, I realize the most important difference from the normal sports event, there is no shelter over the audience.  Instead the cover is over the racers.  That cover is God.  Always there, always listening, always celebrating when someone decides to move under His protection and His will for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment