Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grafting

     It's Father's Day.  I have three.  One of the worst days of my life has caused blessings beyond imagination.  If I would have been able to see the future, I probably would have let go of my dad's leg sooner than I did.  If he wouldn't have walked out that day, I probably never would have met my step-dad, who has been just as much a father to me as bio-dad and I only use the word step to differentiate between the two.  They are complete opposites with very few common characteristics.  Because they are opposites I have a dad for every situation.  If dad wouldn't have left, I wouldn't know my step-brother who is the absolute most perfect hugger.  He is the one man in my world who I can let go of everything and allow him to hold me.  He's my little brother even though he's 6 foot bazillion and I wouldn't trade him. 
     Blended families are a challenge, but as our family trees were grafted the lines that separated us became fuzzy and then non-existent.  I was blessed with 6 grandparents and too many cousins to count.  Today, when I think about this massive organism of family trees grafted together bearing both fruit and nuts with branches reaching every possible direction, I realize we all have one common Father.  My step-dad, my bio-dad, my sisters and brothers, steps and halves, whether we share the same blood or not, whether I have met you or not, we are all family.  We struggle to find our own piece of the light, our own significance and security, as we grow and reach toward Him.  Each branch was chosen to be a part of this tree.  Every person has significance and purpose.  Families are not accidental. 
     We all belong to several families.  We have our work families, families of friends, clubs and organization families and our brother and sisters in Christ.  Earthly fathers are made in His image like no others.  Leading and nurturing the members given to them is the priority.  Being an example of Him is a must for a truly healthy family.  What an awesome privilege and responsibility.  If I was able to give fathers a piece of advice, it would be the advice I received from my grandmother when my son was born.  "He trusted you with these children, trust Him with these children."  Happy Father's Day to all Dads.  But a big fat Happy Father's Day to the one and only Daddy to us all.

“Life takes a bit of time and a lot of relationship.”
~Papa - The Shack


No comments:

Post a Comment